Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Program
The Memorial Leighton Heart & Vascular Center's Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Program is helping restore the long-term health of people with heart and lung problems by uniting cardiac and pulmonary rehab into a single program under one roof.
Our medically monitored program is specifically designed to help heart patients return to good health through education, lifestyle changes and an exercise plan that is personally tailored to meet your needs.
Our facility is located on the 6th floor of the Centennial Building, connected to Memorial Hospital. The dedicated space features a variety of exercise equipment — free weights, treadmills, stationary bikes, a rowing machine and stretch bands — to improve your cardiovascular endurance, strength and overall function. This supervised area is a comfortable and supportive setting for you to continue your journey to better health.
Who Needs Cardiac Rehab?
Many people of all ages with heart conditions can benefit from our Cardiopulmonary Rehab Program. You may benefit if you have or have had a:
- Heart attack
- Heart condition such as Coronary Artery Disease (CAD), angina or congestive heart failure.
- Heart procedure, heart valve surgery or surgery including Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) surgery, Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI), including coronary angioplasty (balloon angioplasty) and stenting, valve replacement, or a pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD).
- A doctor's referral is required to use the Cardiopulmonary Rehab facility.
The Benefits of Cardiac Rehab
- Helps you live longer and lessen your chances for another heart attack
- Improves symptoms related to your heart or lung condition
- Reduces your chances of hospitalization
Pulmonary Rehab Program, located in the same facility as Cardiac Rehab, is a wellness program that teaches people with chronic lung disease about their disease process and helps to condition them physically. The program has many benefits. You will:
- Learn about your disease process.
- Learn techniques to help you participate more fully in daily activities.
- Learn about disease management.
- Recondition your muscles for increased endurance and strength.
- Services available through our Pulmonary Rehab Program include Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) instruction, asthma instruction, restrictive disease instruction and a tailored exercise program and diet instruction services. This program is reimbursed by most insurances and by Medicare
During the orientation session, we will help you evaluate your financial options. In most cases, Medicare and private insurance cover our rehabilitation programs.
621 Memorial Dr., Suite 602, South Bend
Use the Lafayette Parking Garage off Lafayette Boulevard (your parking will be validated). Or, if you would like a hospital volunteer to bring you to Cardiopulmonary Rehab by wheelchair, please ask for assistance at the hospital’s main entrance off Bartlett Street. Free valet parking is available at the main entrance.
To learn more about how we can help you or a loved one, call 574-647-7620.