About South Bend
South Bend is located in St. Joseph County in North Central Indiana, just 10 miles south of the Indiana-Michigan state line, on the St. Joseph River, which flows north to Lake Michigan. The combined area of Northern Indiana and Southwest Michigan is commonly called the "Michiana area" by the locals. Go to maps.google.com for a map.
- 96 miles east of Chicago
- 138 miles north of Indianapolis
- 26 miles from Lake Michigan and beautiful beaches
- 4th largest county in the state, 4th largest city in the state
- South Bend has a population of approximately 108,000 and St Joseph County has a population of approximately 265,000
- In addition to South Bend, other communities in greater St. Joseph County include Mishawaka, Granger and Notre Dame
- Four full seasons with January being the coldest month (average temperature 24 degrees) and July being the warmest (average temperature 84 degrees) with a temperature range from zero to the upper 90's. For current weather click here.
- Annual total precipitation of 36.5 inches
- Check out www.ci.south-bend.in.us and downtownsouthbend.com for an extensive listing of local events, places to live, places to worship, schools, local attractions and much more.
- East Race Waterway:
Welcome to the East Race Waterway - the first artificial whitewater course in North America and one of only six in the world.
- Potawatomi Zoo:
Entertaining and educating more than 200,000 visitors every year, the Potawatomi Zoo is the oldest zoo in Indiana, and celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2001.
- Coveleski Regional Baseball stadium:
Home of the South Bend Silver Hawks, an Arizona Diamondbacks minor league team.
- Morris Performing Arts Center:
The Morris Performing Arts Center, located in the heart of downtown South Bend, is today the home of the Broadway Theatre League, the South Bend Symphony Orchestra and the Southold Dance Theater.
- Studebaker National Museum:
Fantastic Collection of 114 years of Studebaker history.
- South Bend Regional Museum of Art:
The South Bend Regional Museum of Art provides art exhibitions, art education, studio art classes and outreach events for the regional community.
- South Bend Chocolate Company and Chocolate Cafe:
Home made chocolate, coffee and food.
- Many public and private golf courses
- Numerous parks and lakes nearby, with plenty of summer and winter recreational activities available, such as canoeing, kayaking, water and snow skiing.
- Bike the Bend, an annual, non-competitive bike ride through South Bend neighborhoods, parks and college campuses.
- Urban adventure games, where you can run, bike, paddle, climb and race your way around South Bend.
- University of Notre Dame offers multiple opportunities for cultural and recreational activities including performing arts, classes, lectures and athletics.
Some of the most affordable! Average home price $100,000. Rental options and opportunities to purchase
- Prudential One Realty - See homes online for sale
- Betty Sandstrom - Real Estate Broker - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Bend Apartments Guide
- South Bend Community School Corporation, School City of Mishawaka and Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation
- Numerous private primary and secondary schools
- University of Notre Dame
- Holy Cross Collage
- Saint Mary's College
- Indiana University South Bend
- Bethel College
- Ivy Tech State College