Memorial’s Special Care Obstetrics Unit provides expert care to women experiencing complications during their pregnancies and is a regional referral center for 21 hospitals in 16 counties. Nine private rooms include overnight accommodations for your support person. Two operating suites adjacent to the Newborn Intensive Care Unit and 24-hour anesthesia coverage ensure rapid response if an emergency arises.
Physicians of Memorial Maternal Fetal Medicine provide hospital-based care for high-risk pregnancies and 24-hour obstetrical consultation and referral. The physicians at Memorial Maternal Fetal Medicine are perinatologists, specialists in high-risk pregnancy. You may be referred to their practice for a variety of reasons including:
- Genetic counseling
- Advanced ultrasounds for fetal well-being
- Preterm labor or history of preterm labor
- Premature rupture of membranes
- Pregnancy-induced hypertension (preeclampsia)
- Insulin-dependent or gestational diabetes
- Medical complications such as lupus, chronic hypertension or renal disease
- Blood group incompatability
- Bleeding problems
- Multiple pregnancies
- Fetal health assessment
- Congenital abnormalities
- Pre-conception counseling because of poor obstetrical history, previous pregnancy loss or chronic medical conditions.